Tuesday, April 15, 2014

By the Sea, Reversed Canvas

Hello Lovelies,

Mandy here  with my first project as part of the Cardz’n’Scrapz design team.  Today I bring you a canvas I created.  I turned my canvas around so that it created a deep edge frame for me to work with. 




I began my project by painting the outer side edges with some blue toned acrylic paint.  I then started to cover the front of the frame and the inside depth part with paper from Graphic 45 ‘by the sea’ collection.  After I glued that in place, I sanded the edges and used Gathered Twigs Distress ink.  To tone down the colour in the paper I painted on some watered down gesso.  I also stamped over this gesso when dry using the Graphic 45 ‘by the sea’ coordinating stamp collection with a permanent brown ink.  I sealed all of this with a thick layer of Distress Crackle Paint in Rock Candy.  After my crackle paint had dried I randomly used Stampendous Frantage Shabby White embossing powder along with Ranger Antiquities embossing powder in Vertigris to give the frame an old look.




For the main part I printed my photo on copy paper and adhered to the inside of the canvas.  I blended it in by using some brown paint and white gesso on an old plastic card.  I cut out various different pieces from the paper collection, like shells, boats, lighthouses, dials and other shaped too to create all the different layers for me to build up my scene, each piece had its edges inked with gathered twigs and distressed with my scissor blade.




I started to then group all my different cut elements around my photo, complimenting with the fishing net, shells and more fussy cut pieces from the paper.  I also added some gems to give the effect of sea glass.

I really had fun creating this, as it allowed me to finally scrap the pictures we took of one of our favourite places in Co. Mayo.  I was never able to find the right collection to make these work, but the Graphic 45 ‘by the sea’ did just that.

I have a video here also on the goodies we received for April, so you will be able to see the product in much more detail.



I hope you like this and it helps inspire you.  Thank you so much for swinging by, and don’t forget to check out the goodies I used in the store! J

Mandyxx

Ingredients:
Fishing net.
Efeo mini shell Mix.






Other products used:

Glimmer Mist in Patina, Dylusion White Linen Ink Spray, A4 Canvas, Ranger Archival Ink in Coffee, Distress Crackle in Rock Candy, Felt shapes from my stash, Prima resin border corner, Distess Ink in Gathered Twigs, Ranger embossing powder Antiquities in Verdigris, Stampendous Frantage Shabby White embossing powder.

5 comments:

  1. Oh .. Mandy this is simply gorgeous , Such a fabulous idea , totally inspiring .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Mandy!
    Love the idea of turning the canvas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work Mandy !!! Inspiring, interesting, creative and stunning. Thank you for sharing, Marta x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully detailed art piece! Love the idea of reversing the canvas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of the reversed canvas it's something I must try-makes a lovely frame ;) x

    ReplyDelete