Thursday, May 1, 2014

Altered Circle Journal Album

Good morning and Happy May Day :) 

It's Sandie here and today myself and the ladies are starting afresh with a brand new design team kit and we are excited to share another month of inspirational ideas. 

I recently partook in a Circle Journal group and my journal was a bare Maya Road album. It has done it's complete circle and is now back with me so I could finally design the covers. I started out by covering it with gesso and quickly heat dried it. Then I covered the front and back with the Wallflower papers and applied a layer of watered down gesso over it so that it would take the colours. 


I used various stencils, and the background lattice chipboard to create some texture, then applied mists and inks until I got the colours I wanted. Tip: when using sprays and inks - spray on your colour, then taking a mister, spritz it with water. This gets the colour into all the crevices. Heat dry between each colour application.


Once I was happy with the colours I applied Emperor's Gold Silks to the raised areas. It took 2-3 coats to get a good coverage. 


I then layered up all of my embellishments - Prima flowers, Junkyard Findings Vintage Trinkets Typo Bulbs 2 and a butterfly cut from the papers which is framed in an Inkssentials Memory Frame. I used chipboard letters for the lettering. 


Along the spine I did some stenciling 


... and designed the back to coordinate


On the inside I simply applied a good layer of gesso and used the mists/sprays and inks with plenty of water to marble the colours together. It's hard to see, but at the end, I gave a generous spritzing of Copper Glimmer mist which gave a 'rust' appearance. 


Finally, taking the Ingvild Bolme Branch Bark chalk ink edger, I ran it around all the edges of the cover. 


Nothing left to do now but add my pages back into it and it's all finished and ready for display :)

Thanks for dropping by
Sandie
xXx

5 comments:

  1. Wow .. Sandie ..that is just fabulous .. thanks for sharing all the great tips too .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandie, love all the work you've done on the album cover, it turned out fab.

    ReplyDelete